(also an ) indef art (The form a is used before consonant sounds and the form an before vowel sounds. Both are used before [C], [Cgp] or [sing] ns that have not previously been made specific. a用於辅音前, an用於元音前. 两者均用於前文未曾确指的可数单数名词或集合名词之前.) 1 one 一（个）: a man, hotel, girl, committee, unit, U-turn （一个）男人, 旅馆, 姑娘, 委员会, 单位, U形转弯 (Cf 参看 some men, hotels, girls, etc) * an egg, aunt, uncle, hour, X-ray, MP, L-plate （一个）蛋, 姑姑, 叔叔, 小时, X光照片, 下院议员, L字牌 (Cf 参看 some eggs, aunts, uncles, hours, etc) * I can only carry two at a time. 我一次只能携带两个. * There's a book on the table is that the one you want? 桌子上有一本书--是不是你要的那一本? 2 (used with an abstract n that is restricted by the phrase which follows it 与抽象名词连用时, 该名词後须有限定性词组): There was still an abundance of food when we arrived. 我们抵达时还有很多食物. * We're looking for someone with a good knowledge of German. 我们正在找一个精通德语的人. 3 any; every 任何; 每一（个）: A horse is a quadruped. 马是四足动物. (Cf 参看 Horses are quadrupeds.) * An owl can see in the dark. 猫头鹰在黑暗中能看见东西. (Cf 参看 Owls can see...). 4 one single 单一的: He didn't tell us a thing about his holiday. 他度假的事对我们支字未提. 5 (used with ns followed byof + possess det + n + 's 与名词+ of +所有格限定词+名词+ 's连用): a friend of my father's, ie one of my father's friends 我父亲的一个朋友 * a habit of Sally's, ie one of Sally's habits 萨莉的一种习惯. 6 (used in front of two ns seen as a unit 用於可视为一体的两个名词之前): a cup and saucer 一副杯碟 * a knife and fork 一副刀叉. 7 to or for each; per 每一; 每: 2 a gallon 每加仑2英镑 * 800 words a day 每天800字 * 50p a pound 每磅50便士. 8 (often derog 常作贬义) person like (sb) 像（某人）的人: My boss is a little Napoleon. 我的老板是个小拿破仑. 9 (used with sb's name to show that the speaker does not know the person 与某人姓名连用, 表示说话者不认识此人): Do we know a Tim Smith? 咱们认识一个叫蒂姆·史密斯的人吗? * A Mrs Green is waiting to see you. 有一位格林太太正等著见你.* A Doctor Simpson telephoned. 有一位辛普森医生来过电话. 10 (used to show membership of a class 用以表示一群体中的成员): My mother is a solicitor. 我母亲是律师. * My father is a Fulham supporter. 我父亲是富勒姆足球队的球迷. 11 painting, sculpture, etc by 由...作的绘画, 雕刻等: The painting my grandfather gave me turned out to be a Constable. 我祖父给我的那幅画原来是康斯塔伯的作品
- `&'号常用於公司名称中, 如Brown, Brown & Watkins
- Ampersands are often used in names of companies, eg Brown, Brown & Watkins.
- Black Widow is a (dead) cert for (ie is sure to win) the next race.
- ... 银色的船桨，随着笛声拍节在水中摇划，击起了层层水波，痴情地紧追不舍。
- The oars were silver, /Which to the tune of flutes kept stroke, and made the/Water which they beat to follow fast
- One false move and you're dead!' he said, pointing a gun at me.
- I've got a sore throat, ' he wheezed.
- Don't worry, ' she said, putting an arm round his shoulder.
- Come and get an eyeful of this there's a giraffe in the garden!'
- `Whose fault is this?' `Mine, I'm afraid.'
- `The building of the new shopping centre is an outrage, ' she protested.
- `Thank you for showing us your collection of paintings.' `It's my privilege (ie I am honoured to do so).'
- `Stay away from me!' she hissed.
- `Shut up' (meaning `Stop talking') is not a polite expression.
- `Pass water' is a euphemism for `urinate'.
- `Oh!', `Look out!' and `Ow!' are exclamations.
- `May I borrow your pen for a moment?' `Certainly.'