- a dogfish
dogfish [dɔgfiʃ; (-) dɔ:g-]
- An order of spiny finned fish in the superorder acanthopterygii.
- Boarfish: any of several marine fishes of the genus antigonia having a deep flattened body a projecting snout and bright red coloring.
- Small tadpole-shaped cold-water fishes with pelvic fins forming a sucker; related to lumpfish.
- Bony fishes of the southern hemisphere that breathe by a modified air bladder as well as gills; sometimes classified as an order of crossopterygii.
- They are related to the bowfin and date back to the eocene epoch.gars are confined chiefly to fresh water though some species enter brackish or salt water.
- The lumpsucker does it with modified fins on its underside
- Any of various mostly extinct bony fishes of the subclass crossopterygii of which the coelacanth is a living representative.
- An order of spiny-finned fish in the superorder acanthopterygii.
- Any of a large group of fishes of the superorder acanthopterygii having bony skeletons and spiny rays in the dorsal and anal fins and including the bass perch mackerel and swordfish.
- A member of the crossopterygii a group of bony fishes with paired rounded fins that are extinct except for the coelacanths and are regarded as ancestors of amphibians and other terrestrial vertebrates.