- "Cyprinoid: of relating to or resembling a carp or other cyprinid fish."
- "Dace: any of various small freshwater fishes of the family cyprinidae which also includes carps and minnows."
- "One generalization that can be made is that the chinese carps particularly grass carp and silver carp are more delicate animals than related species of european or central asian origin."
- The history of induced spawning of chinese carps began in1958with the spawning ahead of schedule of ripe wild black carp and big head by investigators from the institute of hydrobiology academia sinica.
- It is a good bait and sport fish but is not highly valued as food.in north america the name is applied to various small cyprinids found in creeks and bogs mostly in the central and southern u.s.