- They taunted him with cowardice/with being a coward.
- They maintained that ghosts had no substance.
- He began to suspect that some jiggery-pokery was going on.
- He claimed that he could make ghosts materialize.
- He's a charming rogue.
- 他相信魔鬼、 巫婆这类事。
- He believes in devils and witches.
- He's got (a lot of) bottle!
- He is a coward by his own admission.
- He'd better watch himself or he'll be going the way of his father and ending up an alcoholic.
- He slipped away without being noticed.
- He was shaking with fright as if he had seen a ghost.
- People still have a general fear for the imaginary infernal powers.
- "这家旅馆是一个名叫多丽丝的小组经营的。但是，好像今天她出门到布雷斯特去了。" "大王外出，小鬼跳粱。" 妈妈说道。
- "The hotel is run by a Miss Doris. But it seems she's away in Brest for the day." "When the cat's away." Ma said.
- "不，是该死的海关人员把它拿走的。" 约翰说，他呷下一大口威士忌酒后又加上一句： "见他们的鬼去吧！"
- "No, the damned Customs took it." John said, and as he had a gulp of the whisky he added, "Devil take th
- He's just a hot-air merchant who wouldn't say boo to a goose if it came to a fight.