- to undergo (hardship)
- The hostages emerged from their ordeal unscathed.
- The town survived the depredations of marauding gangs.
- The alliance had been forged in the crucible of war.
- 你这样放肆, 我已经受够了!
- I've had enough of your impudence!
- I think I've caught a bug.
- His courage was severely tried by his ordeal.
- His childhood was repressed and solitary.
- The soldier suffered a massive haemorrhage and died soon after.
- The patient's condition was critical and she needed an operation but there was no guarantee that she would survive the anaesthetic; the surgeon was on the horns of a dilemma.
- The device had undergone extensive testing.
- Subject every proposal to one test- profitability.
- Even the King and Queen experienced hardship during the war.
- Designating a property of a geometric figure that does not vary when the figure undergoes projection.
- Before liberation, a lot of factories went under to foreign competition.
- That is why they cannot stand up to any serious test.