- Black Widow is a (dead) cert for (ie is sure to win) the next race.
- The one won and the other lost; that's the luck of the draw.
- One false move and you're dead!' he said, pointing a gun at me.
- He flopped down the shopping bag and ran to help us.
- A painter who had been working on the clock tower hung a pot of paint on one of the hands and slowed it down!
- A hand grenade exploded by accident and I got lost in the ensuing confusion.
- `May I borrow your pen for a moment?' `Certainly.'
- `How do you like your tea?' `I like it rather weak.'
- "他会让别的囚徒感觉到他自以为比他们高明吗？" "他当然不会这样。一次做君子，一世做君子。"
- "Would he allow the other prisoners to feel that he thought himself a cut above them?" "Of course he wouldn't. Once a gentleman, always a gentleman."
- "when" 是一
- "When" is a temporal conjunction.
- "Topullaface" "愁眉苦脸" 是一个习惯表
- "To pull a face" is an idiomatic expression.
- "也许某个不知名的亲戚会在他死后给我们留下一大笔钱。" "如果愿望都能实现，乞丐早就发财了。还是想一些实际的东西吧。"
- "Some unknown relative might die and leave us a lot of money." "And if wishes were horse,
- "Inthefamilyway" 是一种老式的表达方式，意为 "怀孕" 。
- "In the family way" is an old-fashioned expression meaning "pregnant".
- "I got a ladder from the shed in the garden, put it against the wall, and began climbing towards the bedroom window."
- `Hear with one's ears' and `divide into four quarters' are pleonasms.